Skip to main content

When preparing for your move take in consideration that part of the planning also involves notifying people about your relocation. Since moving can be stressful and time consuming it is quite easy to overlook this important step to make this more efficient for you check out below a checklist so you don’t leave anyone out of the loop.


The last thing you want is missing to update your address with the Postal Office. Not doing so will imply to having lots and lots of important mail sent to your former home.

Updating your address is quite easy and you can do it from home you just need to go to to change your address online.  to report your new address. You can also visit the local post office.


Government Agencies


Contact the IRS to change your address if you are expecting a tax refund or other mail. You can also change your address with the IRS by writing your new address in the appropriate boxes on your tax return when you file.

Social Security Administration (SSA)

Change your address online by simply going to if you receive Social Security retirement, survivors, or disability benefits or are enrolled in Medicare. If you don’t receive Social Security benefits or Medicare, contact the SSA.

Department of Veterans Affair (VA)

Due to security issues they do not offer to change the address online so you can contact them on the phone ((800) 827-1000) or fill out a

You will need: claim number or Social Security number, your previous address, date of birth, and the exact amount of your monthly VA benefit.

U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS)

U.S. citizens must report a change of address within 10 days of moving within the United States or its territories. Exceptions include:

  • Diplomats (visa status A),
  • Official government representatives to an international organization (visa status G), and
  • Certain nonimmigrants who do not possess a visa and who are in the U.S. for less than 30 days.

Please visit to find the exact steps and forms you need to report the address change.

State Motor Vehicle Agencies.

You need to update your address on your driver’s license and or motor vehicle registration

State Election Offices

You need to change your address on your voter registration records


Unless you are relocating due to work you need to inform your current employee with the very minimum of two weeks in advance so they can take some time to find your replacement. The more time you give them the better. Remember it is important to leave the doors open.

Financial institutions

You need to inform your bank and credit card companies about the change your address. The least you want is an unpaid bill due to an issue with your bank statement.

Utilities and Landlord

You need to inform in a timely matter your landlord and the utilities services providers just so you avoid any cases where you have to spend days with any important service like cable, internet or electricity inform these company of the last day where you’ll need the service on your current address and the exact day when the services need to be reconnected in your new home.